POSTING DATE: July 15, 2015
CLOSING DATE: August 15, 2015
The City of Pittsfield and the Pittsfield Police Department are soliciting applications for employment as a City of Pittsfield Police Officer through lateral transfer.
The City anticipates hiring 4-6 officers through this process. In order to be eligible for consideration, candidates must meet the criteria indicated below.
Job Title: Police Officer
Civil Service Position: Subject to Civil Service rules and regulations
Union Affiliation: International Brother Hood of Police Officers (IBPO), Local 447
Hours Per Week: 40 hrs/wk
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Candidates for lateral transfer to the Pittsfield Police Department must be able to fulfill the essential duties and responsibilities of a Patrol Officer with the Police Department. These include, but are not limited to: the ability to conduct work on all shifts; conducting proactive, preventative and responsive patrol activities; conducting introductory criminal, administrative and traffic investigations; comprehensive and thorough report writing; completing required documentation and computer tasks; and such other duties as may be required.
- Be currently employed as a permanent, full time, full service municipal or MBTA police officer, after certification, in a position subject to Civil Service;
- Have a minimum of (2) years experience at the time of application as a police officer in a full service municipal police department;
- Have successfully completed police recruit training as required by the Municipal Police Training Committee, as well as all required in-service training;
- Have maintained excellent attendance and performance ratings throughout one’s entire career;
- Have a release from their current department indicating the appointing authority’s approval for a lateral transfer under MGL Ch. 31 § 35 if selected;
- Have and maintain permanent residence at the time of appointment in a town within 15 miles of Pittsfield, MGL CH. 41 § 99A;
- Have a current Massachusetts Driver’s License in good standing;
- Be eligible for an unrestricted License to Carry (LTC), MGL Ch 140 § 131
- Pass a background investigation
Preference may be given for current or prior specialized law enforcement experience (i.e., Tactical, Training, Investigations, Sexual Assault Investigations, Traffic, Field Training, etc.).
Preference may also be given for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice or related field;
- Spanish or other second language proficiency;
- Other specialized assignment experience and training.
RATE: $37,626.68 to start, plus educational incentives 15% for an Associate’s, 20% for a Bachelors, 30% for a Master’s degree in a Quinn Bill approved program; 4 % Spanish language proficiency; 10% shift differential; and 10% special assignment pay is available.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To apply, applicants should submit an up-to-date resume and letter of interest to: Personnel Dept, City of Pittsfield, 70 Allen St, Pittsfield MA 01201 firstname.lastname@example.org. (413) 499-9340
You will be contacted by a recruiting officer to complete a department application and background investigation.
Questions about the application process may be directed to Captain Mullin at 413-448-9700 ext 327, or email email@example.com
The City of Pittsfield is an Equal Opportunity Employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. Minorities are encouraged to apply.\